Slayers old and new: Welcome to the Shattered Isles! With the gates of Open Beta flung wide, your true legend can finally begin.
*Dauntless* has come a long way since we launched our first Alpha in early 2017. We’ve gathered invaluable information over the last year, and the outpouring of feedback and experience from testers in these last few weeks has been especially amazing. Since we released *Seeking the Horizon*, the team has been hard at work implementing a ton of improvements, including fixing a staggering 1966 bugs. We couldn’t have done it without you, and we wouldn’t have it any other way.
So far, only a handful of Slayers have made their way to the edges of the Maelstrom: the most deadly region of the Shattered Isles. Now comes the time to dig deep and see how far your skills can carry you. There’s no telling what’s beyond the horizon...
This is Your Legend
Ramsgate is open and ready to welcome new Slayers
Balanced on All Sides
Rebalanced and Enhanced Behemoths
Wild fluctuations of aether have swept across the Shattered Isles. Some Behemoths have become more fearsome while others have ebbed ever so slightly. With new islands coming in and out of range more frequently than ever before, we’ve implemented a ton of balance changes and Behemoth improvements to keep Slayers on their toes.
Socket to Me
Gear improvements and balance changes
If you want to stay alive, you’ll need to stay ahead of the curve. That means keeping your gear and skills razor-sharp. With this patch, we’ve balanced and updated weapons, armour, and cells to ensure that you keep your Slayer’s edge. Players who favor chain blades can look forward to incremental improvements, with additional refinements to come soon.
Style and Grace
Updated and improved in-game cosmetic experience
The most fashionable Slayers of Ramsgate are now able to express themselves even more with all new dyes, sigils, banners, flares, emotes, and exclusive cosmetic armour sets that will make even Gregario Flynt jealous.
Weapons and Armour
- Increased the duration of some perks that increase attack speed (e.g. evasive fury, Embermane hammer).
- Perks and cells based on “reviving another player” will no longer trigger when self-reviving.
- Increased the time required to charge a lantern’s hold ability by 25%.
- Special combat actions, such as war pike and sword projectiles, will now charge lantern hold abilities.
- Pylon and lantern ability VFX have been enhanced. En Taro Tassadar!
- The Lifedrain Tonic will now work correctly against damaged Behemoths and Behemoth objects, allowing players to drain their life.
- Player weapon audio now changes based on speed increases/decreases.
- Frost elemental damage will now trigger more quickly and last longer.
- Slightly decreased the duration of the shock elemental stagger effect on Behemoths.
- Blaze damage now damages every part of a Behemoth over time, not just their core health, when it triggers.
- All equipment and supply icons have been updated and are now easier to read and understand.
- The Coldriff Shield and Gannaf’s Gate fabrics have received major a e s t h e t i c improvements.
- Capsaicin-craving Slayers can now savour the spice with a new sigil and flare. 😚👌
- Fixed a bug that prevented Weighted Strikes from granting the intended bonus after a perfect dodge.
- Axe stamina consumption values have been balanced. Players who find themselves dodging out of charged attacks will be much happier. DOOOOOOOOOODGE
- The axe’s repeated chop combo now hits faster and uses less stamina. Vince Offer approves.
- Hammer stamina consumption has been balanced, especially with regard to advanced attacks and combos.
- All hammer blasts are now capable of interrupting Behemoth charges.
- The Hellion hammer primed strike bonus has been reduced from 200% to 125%.
- Default blast dodge direction has been set to “backwards.” Slayers that do not choose a direction for their blast dodge will experience this first-hand.
- Blast dodges no longer have invulnerability frames due to their new Behemoth interrupting capabilities.
- All elemental hammer secondary blasts now have appropriate elemental sounds.
- Fixed a bug that prevented players from landing hammer blasts or successfully blast dodging when on an incline.
- Slayers are now be able to turn while using the blender combo, which does significantly more damage and costs less stamina. Let us know how this feels!
- Extended the chain blades’ backflip invulnerability, making it a more reliable escape tactic.
- Chain blades users can now more reliably string together non-combo attacks.
- Fixed a bug that caused the chain blades’ push/pull to interact with stumps and not interact with Behemoth objects (e.g. Nayzaga turrets).
- The war pike will now require less piercing damage to wound Behemoth parts.
- When taking damage, war pike users will now lose only 50% of their current meter (down from 100%). Do you feel lucky, punk?
- Fixed a bug that caused Slayers with an active shield to end war pike charges early.
- Improved sword visual effects to more clearly show Slayers when they can time combos.
- Fixed a bug that caused players to fire a projectile with each use of the sword’s super, when it should only have fired the first time.
- All heroic patrols and expeditions to the Dyadic Drift may now drop any exotic recipe.
- Pursuits for Shrowd and Rezakiri may drop their respective recipes. Pursuits against other heroic Behemoths no longer drop Shrowd and Rezakiri blueprints.
- Exotic recipes are now easier to read and understand. It’s a Unix system. I know this!
- The Godhand beam will no longer do multiple hits to Behemoths’ limbs. It will still hit overlapped parts multiple times. The beam no longer interrupts Behemoths.
- Godhand beam range has been greatly increased, but will now deal less damage at extreme distances.
- Improved colour and visibility on the Hunger.
- Tragic Echo reincarnation and The Hunger now have lower bonus damage.
- Fixed a bug that caused some of the Godhand’s shots to be blocked on certain islands.
- Fixed a bug where the Godhand received the base Rezakiri war pike effect in addition to its custom effect.
- Fixed a bug that caused The Hunger’s special attack ability to activate multiple times while in Feast mode.
- Fixed multiple bugs that caused Slayers to ignore damage during The Feast and return too much (or not enough) health in subsequent Feasts. Slayers may still fall victim to food comas.
- Fixed a bug that caused an incorrect cooldown reference in the Tragic Echo item description.
- Fixed a bug that prevented players from being targeted when using Tragic Echo.
- Altered cell slots across Maelstrom gear, making it easier to design builds and augment intrinsic perks.
- Changed the Cunning cell (double damage chance) from a power-type cell to a technique-type cell.
- Adjusted the part and wound damage of Acidic cells.
- Improved the efficacy of Agility, Conditioning, Endurance, Energized, Fleet Foot, Merciless, Nimble, Pacifier, Rage, and Wild Frenzy cells.
- Clarified the descriptions of Medic, Nine Lives, and Shellshocked cells.
- Fixed an infusion bug that caused an incorrect list of cells to display after pressing the back button.
SHRIKE AND MOONREAVER
- Rogue Shrike’s attack pattern has been simplified, giving new Slayers more time to adjust to the encounter.
- Each breed of Shrike and Moonreaver now has a unique size/speed for their gust tornado projectile.
- Fixed a bug where Shrike could glide past Slayers and get stuck in an infinite loop.
- Fixed a bug where Shrike could glide past Slayers and get stuck in an infinite loop.
- Fixed a bug where Shrike could glide past Slayers and get stuck in an infinite loop. Dormammu, I’ve come to bargain!
QUILLSHOT AND DEADEYE
- Quillshot and Deadeye’s head and quill health values have been lowered, making them more reliably breakable.
- Reduced the area of effect for projectile explosions on the Heroic encounter and fixed a bug where Slayers could still get hit while dodging through them.
- Fixed a bug that caused Deadeye’s quill breaks to drop multiple parts.
- Added area of effect damage to Skarn’s enrage attack.
- Slightly reduced the health values of Skarn’s armour plates.
- Increased the time that Skarn’s unarmoured body is exposed after its slam and rage attacks.
- Moss has begun to bloom on Skarn’s exterior after its migration to Iron Falls. A rolling Skarn gathers no moss… Wait a second.
EMBERMANE AND BLOODFIRE
- Decreased the overall damage dealt by Bloodfire.
- Increased the interrupt window on the gore pounce attack.
- Fixed a bug that caused Embermane’s tail to clip through the ground.
- Skraev will no longer blast Slayers with projectiles at point-blank range.
- Fixed a bug that prevented wing attacks from damaging Slayers.
- Fixed a bug that allowed multiple ice cutter projectiles to damage the player in a single burst.
NAYZAGA AND SHOCKJAW
- Slide lightning will now only occur when Nayzaga/Shockjaw is in an aether-charged state. Boogie woogie, woogie!
- Nayzaga has developed a powerful new lightning spin attack that will target the nearest player.
- Nayzaga’s primary towers are no longer shielded. Shockjaw’s primary towers are shielded, and all of Heroic Shockjaw’s towers are shielded.
- Nayzaga will only apply the shock debuff when in its aether-charged state.
- Fixed a bug that could cause Nayzaga’s aether charge to end prematurely.
PANGAR AND FROSTBACK
- Reduced the size of part hitboxes to better match the model and reduce bad hits.
- Pangar/Frostback will lose the ability to do some attacks after the tail has been severed. Phantom limb syndrome has been resolved.
- Increased cooldown on rolling attacks so that they occur less frequently.
Decreased the amount of damage needed to stagger legs and made the stagger on leg breaks more significant.
- Reduced overall damage on many Pangar and Frostback attacks.
- Lowered the amount of damage needed to sever Pangar and Frostback’s tail.
- Slayers are now able to roll through all parts of Pangar’s body if they time their dodge properly during an attack.
- Fixed a bug that allowed ice breath projectiles to hit Slayers multiple times.
KHARABAK AND RAZORWING
- Increased recovery time after the dash spin, tail slam, and enrage finisher attacks.
- Increased the time needed to spawn the swarm, giving Slayers an extra window in which to deal damage.
- Lowered part health for all targetable and breakable parts.
- Reduced the size of damage boxes on wing attacks.
- Reduced overall health of Kharabak and Razorwing.
- The blade toss attack will now inflict wound.
- Increased the stagger length on certain attacks.
- Kharabak and Razorwing can no longer use blade drag attacks without intact aether blades.
- Reduced size of hitbox from the non-dragging blades during blade drag attack.
- Damage marks and wounds incurred by Kharabak and Razorwing are now more obvious.
- The damage required to break head parts has been increased.
- Stormclaw’s tail will now disappear when severed.
- Fixed an issue that prevented electroballs from causing stagger.
- Fixed an issue that prevented lighting bolts from dealing damage.
- Reduced damage and knockback across many attacks.
- Improved hitboxes to reduce bad hits.
- Slightly shortened the damage window for Hellion’s shoulder drop attack.
- Reduced the amount of damage needed to sever Hellion’s tail.
- Hellion will no longer use its tail slam attack if its tail has been severed.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Hellion from using its shoulder drop attack if its tail had been severed.
- Heroic Ragetail tail swipes will now inflict wound damage.
- More variety has been added to the Ragetail moveset.
- Ragetail has become more aggressive! Okay now I’m really mad!
CHARROGG AND FIREBRAND
- Extended the hit length on the tail swipe/headbutt combo attack.
- Slayers hit by multiple projectiles will no longer take all of the damage at once.
- Raised elemental damage thresholds so that more elemental damage is required to inflict a status effect against Rezakiri.
- Slightly decreased Rezakiri’s overall health.
- Reduced the damage needed to break Rezakiri’s tailgem.
- Rezakiri’s tail will no longer go rigid after getting staggered. You’re carrying too much tension in your cercus!
- Breaks on Rezakiri will now be more obvious.
- Increased the size of Rezakiri’s tailgem hitbox, making it slightly easier to attack and break.
- Slayers are now less likely to get stuck on top of Rezakiri’s tail.
- Shrowd has developed a new, devious version of its four-swipe attack. Heads up!
- Shrowd’s area of effect enrage attack will no longer spawn partway into the ground.
- Updated and improved Shrowd’s rage and aether state entrances, making it easier to distinguish between the two.
- The doomsday orb will now stick closer to the ground so that it’s easier for every weapon to reach it.
- Shadowclones have developed their own attack patterns. Who knows what lurks in the hearts of men?
- Corruption can now be cleared by hitting Shrowd’s shadowclones or orbs.
- Shadowclone health has been slightly increased.
- Shadowclones can no longer be staggered or have elemental effects applied to them.
- Corruption now does a small amount of damage when it is applied.
- Improved initial visibility on Shrowd’s corruption pool. Don’t stand in it.
- Shrowd’s backpedal slam now originates more accurately from its point of impact.
- Fixed a bug that has allowed Slayers to break shadowclone parts.
Ramsgate and the Shattered Isles
- A new introduction cinematic has been added to introduce new Slayers to the Shattered Isles and explain your purpose in the Shattered Isles. The team has put in countless hours on this new cinematic. We look forward to hearing what you think and if you want more of these immersive scenes in Dauntless. Immersion has increased by 234%.
- Players will now receive weaponmaster and alchemist reputation for crafting weapons and consumables, respectively.
- Any intrepid Slayer who completes a weekly challenge will now receive a golden core.
- Slayers will no longer be
stumpedimpeded by the stumps left behind by broken trees.
- XP values have been tweaked, allowing players to progress through reputation tracks more quickly.
- Slayers can now select hunts by clicking directly on regions in the world map.
- Majority of the in-game music has been replaced with live orchestral recordings. The remaining music will be replaced in a future update, stay tuned!
- Slayers can now see potential Behemoth encounters on the expedition departure screen.
- The cartographers of Ramsgate have tapped into their artistic sides, aesthetically enhancing the hunt boards.
- Assigned unique models to progression cores, making it easier to differentiate between them.
- Gregario Flynt, the resident stylist, has taken a stroll around town, giving makeovers to some of the citizens and smiths.
- The Maelstrom huntboard has been equipped with a timer, allowing Slayers to better predict their rotation.
- Maelstrom hunts have been made 234% more enjoyable with new and improved hunt modifiers.
Quality of Life
- Players can now use the “/ignore [playername]” and “/block [playername]” features to add other players to an ignore list. Using either command a second time will undo the /ignore.
- Players can now choose to filter party invites, ignoring invites from Slayers not on their friends list.
- Updated Damage numbers to remove placeholder font, add associated symbols, and stay more true to the style of Dauntless. The breakdown on what damage numbers mean can now also be viewed in the combo menu.
- The visibility of break part orbs has been improved. Oh, hey! You dropped this!
- Added a status effect icon that displays when Slayers are at maximum danger.
- Using the communication wheel on gamepad is now smoother and will not cause the camera to jerk away.
- All UI screens now have appropriate audio.
- Loadout changes made in the airship lobby will now carry over into subsequent hunts.
- Replaced icons and updated the combo screens to (a) show more attacks and (b) do a better job of explaining them to new Slayers.
- Replaced the movement speed boost icon. Looking for a speed boost? Consider aether wisps for a boost of energy.
- We have spun up more servers in anticipation of Open Beta. Please let us know how these feel! You get a server, and YOU get a server, AND YOU GET A SERVER!
- Crafting interfaces have been improved to reflect available resources more accurately.
- Better default graphics options have been defined for high resolution players.
- Alt-tabbing has been improved and will be a smoother and more responsive experience.
- Placeholder icons for tonics, pylons, and beacons have been replaced.
- End-of-hunt icon placeholders have been replaced.
- The new “Start Hunt” button will change the way you think about buttons. There is your life before “Start Hunt” 2018, and there is your life after.
- Fabric names have been updated to reflect the rich cultural history of the Shattered Isles.
- Added a background and increased subtitle text size to increase readability.
- Resolved a bug that caused the Bosun to repeatedly remind players about the benefits of aether wisps. But, for real — AETHER WISPS CAN PROVIDE A BOOST OF ENERGY.
- An issue which caused break parts to occasionally fall through the ground has been resolved.
- Players will no longer get stuck in the infusion interface.
- Players can now remap the Left Trigger and Left Bumper controller buttons.
- Slayers will now be able to see other players’ transmogs when in the airship lobby.
- Transmog stone counts will now update accurately.
- Players will now be able to reliably access the “Elegant Weaponry” quest for exotic weapons.
- Using gatherables for crafting will no longer break your ability to complete quests which require those gatherables.
- Rebinding keys associated with the chat system will no longer cause problems.
- Flora and fauna will no longer float above the islands. Unless it’s birds. If it’s birds then that’s normal.
- Talking to an NPC using the A Button on a controller will no longer also craft an item.
- Enhancing the durability and toughness of boots has made Slayers far less likely to get stuck on twigs and other debris.
- Slayers will no longer get stuck
chasingin waterfalls. We know you’re gonna have it your way or nothing at all.
- Ready buttons now work correctly when clicked.
- Players will no longer get stuck in dye menus.
- Slayers will no longer be blocked from choosing Sheltered Frontier pursuits after completing the tutorial.
- Game audio will not play over loading screens.
- Airship captains may incorrectly report the Behemoth being hunted when you’re in the airship lobby. We’re blaming this on a liberal enjoyment of popular, new, and experimental aether-brewed spirits.
- Keybindings are a continued work in progress. They are working and functional but there may be some screens that show defaults or don’t update.
- Controllers may not work when infusing cells into some weapons and armour. We are continuing to improve controller functionality.
- Slayers may sometimes not get automatically loaded into a hunt after the airship timer expires. Be sure to ready up for those hunts, just in case!
- Cores may sometimes not show up on the HUD at the corebreaker but rest assured, they are there waiting to be broken.
- “Dye”, “Transmog,” and “Infuse” buttons are visible but not functional in airship lobbies.
- You may see your Slayer on the island for a moment prior to beginning a hunt or before returning to Ramsgate.
- When transmogging some hammers, the ammo magazine may not match the transmogged target.
- After interrupting Shrike, feather rustling audio may continue to play.
- Behemoths may occasionally walk in irregular patterns. Fix this by slaying them.