Seeking the Horizon is the first of two major content patches leading up to the Dauntless Open Beta. Included in this update are four new Dire Behemoths, new exotic gear, and a gameplay progression rework that will lead Slayers to the Maelstrom, where they can get their first taste of the Evergame. With this update, Slayers will also be able to wield and wear whatever weapons and armour they’d like, thanks to Transmog, and remap their controls on both keyboard & mouse and gamepad.
Rumble with the Beast
New Dire Behemoths to hunt and pursue
There are challenges that Slayers seek, and then there are threats that test the mettle of even the most seasoned hunters. Rumours around Ramsgate suggest cataclysmically lethal Dire Behemoths prowl The Shattered Isles. The Bloodfire Embermane, Firebrand Charrogg, Frostback Pangar, and Razorwing Kharabak are all waiting to unleash their bone-crushing power. Moonreaver Shrike and Deadeye Quillshot are also back and deadlier than ever.
Unique Exotic weapons and armours
Slayers looking to stand out amongst their friends with top-tier kit will get their chance to shine with exotic gear. Crafting these wieldable and wearable wonders will require materials gathered from Behemoths emboldened by challenging hunt modifiers.
The impression that exotics make isn’t limited to their visual appeal. Exotic gear will imbue Slayers with unique abilities that will augment their power and change the way that they hunt.
Into the Maelstrom
Evergame gives even the toughest Slayers endless challenges
Far beyond the horizon, raging aether storms have coalesced into the furious Maelstrom. Here, Slayers will hunt powerful Behemoths while adapting to punishing island modifiers brought on by the twisting storm. If they are able to rise to the challenge, they will be rewarded with unique materials needed to craft powerful exotic weapons and armour pieces.
Making the Mystic Artisan proud
Transmogrification and control remapping
Seeking the Horizon introduces the highly-anticipated Transmog and custom keybinding features. Slayers can now transfer the appearance of gear to other pieces without compromising on stats or perks. They can also remap and change their controls for both keyboard & mouse and gamepad.
These features are still in their prototype state, so please share your feedback with us!
Iron Falls & Sandrian’s Stone
Discover two new islands
A pair of beautiful new islands replete with dense flora and aether geysers have drifted into range of Ramsgate. Slayers will notice that verticality plays a much bigger role on these landmasses. You’ll also be encountering Behemoths in tighter quarters, so stay on your toes!
Reputation Systems & Daily Challenges
Even if they prefer to hunt alone, no Slayer can survive solo in The Shattered Isles. Whether it’s the alchemic aid of the bosun or Wils’ weaponcrafting, building a reputation with the residents of Ramsgate is a must. This update introduces reputation tracks that will unlock access to weapon classes, handy consumables, and more.
Daily and weekly quests will give you the chance to prove yourself to these important NPCs, and they’ll also give you a variety of ways to test your skills. Let us know what you think!
Weapons and Armour
- Added the first four exotic gear items. Many more are in the works, so be sure to keep a sharp eye out.
- The utility of lanterns has been reworked and expanded. Slayers can now activate two abilities for most lanterns, triggered by either tapping or holding the lantern activation button. This is a major source of diversity and power which will impact Slayer builds, so let us know what you think!
- The axe and war pike must now be unlocked via the Weaponmaster reputation track. Advance your reputation by completing quests for Wils Bormen, and track your progress in your quest journal.
- Transmog has been added to Dauntless! Slayers can now transmogrify weapons and armour.
- Weapons and armour will now grant perks, unique abilities, and different cell slots. This means expanded opportunities for playstyles and builds.
- Healing and revive potions have been replaced by the flask. They will now recharge after hunts, allowing Slayers to focus more on combat and less on gathering.
- The flexibility of consumable item slots has been expanded to allow for more variation and customization.
- Consumable items have been completely reworked. New effects, new enhancements, and new opportunities for enhanced slaying! These violent delights…
- Swords have received new post-dodge primary and secondary attacks that flow more smoothly into combos. Sword attacks will now hit more reliably and consistently.
- Axes will now grant Resolve on the level three charge of their secondary attacks.
- Swords users will no longer stutter and slide when performing combos.
- Flare selection has been moved to the Style menu.
- Feathers on the Emberpike are now 23.4% spicier.
- Added a new sound that plays whenever a lantern is fully charged.
- Weapon impact sounds have been redesigned. This includes positioned sound effects, a specific sound for ineffective hits, custom projectile impact sounds, and chain blade impact sounds. CLANG!
- Added new Dire Behemoths, including the Bloodfire Embermane, Firebrand Charrogg, Frostback Pangar, and Razorwing Kharabak. Moonreaver Shrike and Deadeye Quillshot have discovered more attacks, making them less predictable. Note: These encounters are still evolving, so be sure to share your feedback!
- Reworked and rebalanced the Corrupted Status Effect. Corruption now deals damage over time while slowly draining the special meter. While Corrupted, Slayers are slower and spread corruption to any Slayer they revive. The duration has increased from 8 seconds to 30 seconds. Slayers can clear Corruption by using a cleanse lantern or potion, or by hitting the Behemoth that inflicted the status effect.
- Continuing adjustments to solo hunt difficulty. Note: We are actively seeking your feedback on this topic!
- Reworked Gnasher, Charrogg, Skraev, Pangar, Quillshot, Deadeye, and Hellion’s damage textures (including larger cuts) to improve readability.
- Embermane has been reworked with new attacks. Slayers can now target and sever Embermane’s tail.
- Resolved an Embermane bug which caused it to get stuck in a pouncing loop.
- Some encounters will now feature new rare and epic drops, used for more complex recipes in Evergame.
- Elemental damage systems are being reintroduced. Blaze will deal damage over time, Frost will slow Behemoths, and Shock will build up to temporarily daze your quarry. These effects build up with sustained pressure and will be a major boon to Slayers using teamwork.
- Improvements to the reliability of Rezakiri projectile hit detection.
- Shrike and other flying behemoths have had their wings groomed and will now fly much more smoothly. Treat. Yo. Self.
- Charrogg’s visual effects have been improved.
- Reduced the area of effect on Rogue Shrike’s jump slams to better ease new Slayers in.
- Placeholder break-part names have been updated.
- Drask will now visually track Slayers before blasting them with its TurboLazer™.
- Fixed issues with Shrowd’s body collision.
- Fixed collision issues with Stormclaw’s electric fences. Safety first!
Ramsgate and the Shattered Isles
- Two beautiful, new islands have drifted within range of the Ram, giving you new opportunities to explore. These islands feature denser flora and a greater focus on verticality. Let us know what you think!
- Improved performance for both Ramsgate and The Shattered Isles. This includes multiple changes that will improve performance for Slayers on lower-end machines. Russet, red, and Yukon ‘tatos may still struggle.
Slayers can now opt into Pursuits, Patrols, and Expeditions in the new hunt board interface. Let us know what you think!
- Existing islands have been updated to feel more vibrant and alive. Smellovision has been delayed until Open Beta.
- Slayers can now see the rewards they will get for doing a quest or hunt on the new hunt board.
- A new fragile form of tree has begun to grow in the Shattered Isles. Slayers and Behemoths can destroy these arborial additions, so be careful what you hide behind!
- Hunt rewards and Behemoth kill rewards have been adjusted for progression flow.
- The compass in Ramsgate will now point players to the nearest core breaker.
- The Buddies of Benson lobby has leveraged its political influence and disabled the ability to attack rams while we work on new fauna systems. It’s not goodbye.
- Players should now traverse cliff faces more smoothly.
- Slayers can look forward to a new and improved tutorial experience! Let us know what you think!
- Bushes will no longer catch and hold players. You have to relax. If you don’t, it’ll only kill you faster!
- Improved the performance and rugged appeal of aether vents.
- Assorted bug fixes to fill holes that could cause players to fall through the world on multiple maps. Some say they’re still falling to this day…
- Fixed a bug and improved collision to prevent Slayers from getting stuck on trees. Note: Please let us know if you do get stuck!
- Fixed a bug that caused certain aether geysers to shoot players downwards.
- Placeholder tutorial VO has been replaced with final VO.
- Added additional VO lines for the Bosun.
Quality of Life
- Broad performance improvements that will improve framerates for many players.
- The friends list will now show which of your friends are Online/Offline and Slayers will be notified in chat as friends come online or go offline. Note: This feature is still a work in progress!
- Overhauled the HUD to remove placeholder assets and increase readability. Slayers will now see only the most important and useful info.
- NPC UI has been reworked, making for better quest and dialogue navigation.
- Removed placeholder images and made other improvements to the login and main menu layout.
- Assorted End of Hunt improvements to the end screen, layout, and overall flow.
- Improved gamepad functionality across multiple menus and screens.
- Default gamepad controls have been reorganized so that Lantern activation is on [Left Shoulder] and sheathe weapon is on [R3]. The directional pad has been remapped so that [D-Left] is your first supply slot and [D-Right] is now your second supply slot. Jaguar controller support is still a work in progress.
- Added a new communication wheel. This will allow Slayers to use emotes, plant banners, and throw flares with a single [LT] button press when in Ramsgate or the Shattered Isles. Spamming intensifies.
- All Founder’s Packs will now include a “Slayer Pack” which contains updated supplies. These supplies reflect some of the new content in Dauntless.
- Updated the Danger Meter, removing placeholder art and showing alerts to players when the danger crosses 10%, 25%, 50%, and 75%. Once it exceeds 85%, the new Danger Meter will play a looping animation to alert players of the impending danger. “CALL YOUR MOTHER”, “DELETE FACEBOOK”, and “NO, FOR REAL. FLOSS.” warnings have been removed.
- Made improvements to the loadout screen to make it more responsive for players when equipping new gear.
- Fixed a bug that caused some cells to not infuse correctly.
- Fixed a bug that could sometimes cause sword players to accidentally trigger a Special attack from dodge attacks.
- Fixed a bug that caused war pike users to be unable to successfully dodge out of the primary attack finisher.
- Fixed a bug that caused war pike users to have a missed input when releasing sprint and pressing attack at the same time.
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to apply the default dye of one piece of armour to another, subsequently breaking the ability to re-dye that piece.
- Slayers who are downed during 100% Danger will no longer see an off-screen indicator stating they can be revived.
- Added Danger Meter audio notifications.
- Players are now able to remap their controls on both keyboard & mouse and gamepad. Please note that this feature is still a work in progress.
- Style Hunter boosts are being replaced with a better, more relevant perk. We are not resetting the Style Hunter boost in the interim. We will have more information about this in the coming weeks! In the meantime, Slayers will now start with a single dye and can gain nine more for their Recruit’s Palette by completing an in-game quest.
- New war pike, sword, and hammer arrival animations have been added. I must arrive more… dramatically!
- Patron and Champion boosts are now combined into a single boost for all Slayers. This new Patron boost gives Slayers bonus XP for all reputation tracks, as well as additional bonus XP for every Slayer in the party that has an active Patron boost. Note: Anyone who purchased any additional boost (aside from the one that came with the Founder’s Pack) prior to the reset will have their Platinum refunded.
- Made improvements to player locomotion and running animations to help smooth out transitions. This will make starting and stopping much smoother. Swag has been nerfed by 2.34%.
- Kat and the Bosun have both undergone a makeover, making them even more dashing and handsome.
- Slayers will now be automatically added to the optimal region server, and can party up with their friends regardless of the region they’re in.
- Improved font consistency and legibility.
- NPC lips should now move properly when dialogue or ambient voiceover is triggered.
- Kharabak can now be interrupted out of the aether-charged “blade drag” attack. This update sponsored by Orkin.
- Added several new player titles for the new reputation tracks that have been added. Removed the “best beard” title as Euan has secured it in perpetuity.
- Lanterns will now swing in line with player movement and blink during radio communication, increasing immersion by 234%.
- Increased the default resolution for Low/Medium/High graphics settings.
- Fixed a bug that caused players to sometimes enter a broken state when loading into the Airship or dropping into a hunt.
- Fixed a bug that caused players to get stuck in a flying state.
- Fixed a bug that caused chill visual and sound effects to sometimes stay active forever.
- Fixed a bug that caused players to be unable to back out of the loadout inspection screen with gamepad back button.
- Fixed a bug that caused players to seem like they were running on air.
- Do not log into Dauntless from multiple places at the same time. It will lead to account data corruption.
- Parties may disband after the end of hunts. This should not prevent players from reforming their party.
- The bosun may repeat dialogue from the tutorial after players have completed the tutorial. There’s a service he can render.
- The end of hunt screen may display incorrect information during the Master of the Hunt phase.
- The laws of physics are affecting trees in strange ways. We blame the Lorax.
- Adjustments made to player loadouts during the airship lobby may sometimes not carry forward into the hunt.
- Lantern transmog skins may not apply correctly.
- Weapon transmog skins may appear d̡i͡s̨to̕r͘t͘ed.
- Alt-tabbing out of the game may not work correctly from some menus and interfaces. It should work correctly if the escape menu is open.
- The Frostfall helm is not displaying as a target for transmog. We are working to resolve this issue. Please let us know if you have other cosmetic items that are not displaying correctly.
- Players using wireless Internet connections may experience additional lag or latency when playing. This is specific to Dauntless and does not relate to general wireless latency. We recommend using a wired connection during the Closed Beta if you experience these issues.
- Some island arrival animations may cause weapons and armours to stretch and g͢l̴͝ì̕t͘c̶h̶.
- The descriptions for some consumable items are cut off in the UI.
- The Behemoth specified as the hunt target in the airship lobby may change as new players join the lobby. This may also happen when the ready timer starts or ends.
- 4K monitor support is still a work in progress. We recommend that players using 4K monitors set their resolution scale slider to 50% and/or lower anti-aliasing settings in the interim.
- Game client may stutter as players join the city.
- Players may occasionally lose control of the game as if they had tabbed out. Remedy this by clicking a few times in the game.
- Using a gamepad while crafting items with the bosun may result in extra items if the crafting button is held too long.
- Some hairstyles may be invisible during the pre-hunt lobby. This temporary aerodynamic edge improves airship fuel economy by .234%
- Pangar scales do not take damage from projectiles. This will be resolved in the next update.
- Behemoths may occasionally walk in irregular patterns. Fix this by slaying them.